You are here

Who treats kidney stones?

Urologists (also known as Urological Surgeons) are specialist medical practitioners who treat kidney stones.

Urologists are trained to diagnose, monitor and treat stones in a variety of conservative and surgical methods.

Urologists are surgeons who treat men, women and children with problems involving the kidney, bladder, prostate and male reproductive organs. These conditions include cancer, stones, infection, incontinence, sexual dysfunction and pelvic floor problems.

Many Urologists treat kidney stones but some Urologists, such as Mr Uri Hanegbi have a special interest in kidney stone disease and treat a high volume of stone patients.

Kidney stones are often treated initially by General Practitioners (GPs) who can diagnose stone disease and provide analgesia.

Emergency Department doctors are often involved in the treatment of patients who present with renal colic. Patients with severe pain frequently present to an Emergency Department for pain relief.

Alternative health practitioners such as Naturopaths, Osteopaths and Herbal therapy dispensers often claim to treat kidney stone disease. These therapies are of no benefit at all.